The extreme heat, hurricane-force winds, and high humidity we experience in the Tampa area can cause premature deterioration of the roof on your commercial building if you don’t address needed repairs in a timely manner. In order to maximize the lifespan of this costly asset and safeguard the building’s structure and contents from damage, you need to take a proactive approach to roof repair.
Know the Warning Signs of Necessary Roof Repair
To avert more costly extensive repairs, to prevent a premature roof replacement, and to protect your bottom line, it’s vital to stay aware of the condition of your building’s roof so that any needed repairs can be taken care of as soon as possible. Here are some of the most common signs that your roof needs prompt professional attention:
- Interior evidence of water infiltration. Even a minor roof leak that’s not addressed can cause staining on the ceilings or walls, deterioration of the insulation or drywall, patches of mold growth, musty odors, and a decline in indoor air quality.
- Pooling water on the roof. Areas of “ponding” that don’t drain away quickly after a rainfall can cause rusting of a steel roof or degradation of the roof cover and eventual decay of the underlying decking. The added weight can also weaken the structure over time and lead to a collapse.
- Bubbling of the roof cover. Bubbles are an indication of trapped moisture or gasses from degraded insulation in or below the roof cover. These underlying issues can compromise the roof’s performance in a rain or wind storm and lead to decking damage and/or interior leaks.
- Issues with the flashing. If there are gaps or areas of missing flashing around the perimeter, structural components, or equipment installed on the roof, water can’t be deflected away properly during a rainstorm. This leaves the roof more susceptible to damage from high winds, water intrusions, and mold growth.
- Cracked seams or tears in the roofing material. Whether this type of damage is due to aging, debris like fallen tree branches, or
wind and rain, it leaves the roof vulnerable to water infiltration beneath the cover.
The best way to protect your commercial building against premature deterioration is to develop a roof maintenance plan that includes regularly-scheduled inspections and damage assessments after severe weather events. For expert assistance with your commercial roofing maintenance needs in the Tampa area, contact us at Aderhold Roofing.