Has the roof on your commercial property accumulated a layer of dirt and debris? This is unavoidable because over time, air-borne pollutants, mold, mildew, algae, moss and numerous other organisms and contaminants are bound to collect on a roof. Not only is a dirt buildup unsightly, it can cause deterioration and premature aging of your roofing material. The solution: scheduling annual professional roof cleaning.
What’s Involved in Commercial Roof Cleaning?
Cleaning a commercial roof is a task best left to an experienced professional who knows how to use the most effective cleaning solutions and equipment without harming your roof. The procedures a pro uses also differ depending on your type of roof:
- Asphalt shingles need to be sprayed with an oxygen-based cleaner, followed by a “soft” rinse. Asphalt should not be pressure-washed at the risk of stripping off the granules and leaving the substrate vulnerable to deterioration.
- Membrane roofs should have an eco-friendly, high-pH cleaning solution sprayed on to break down the layer of accumulated debris. Then, a pressure washer is used to remove the loosened material and restore the surface.
- Standing seam metal needs a mild, biodegradable cleaning solution applied first, followed by low-pressure washing so there’s no danger of denting the metal.
Advantages of Having Your Commercial Roof Cleaned
Making cleaning a part of your roof maintenance plan offers some appreciable benefits:
- Prolonged lifespan. It’s easier to identify degradation, wear and damage on a clean roof. This allows you to have needed roof repairs addressed promptly, which extends the roof’s expected lifespan and boosts your ROI on the asset.
- Improved aesthetics. If your property has a steep slope roof that’s quite visible, you’ll make a much better first impression by presenting a clean, attractive roof to potential tenants or customers.
- Warranty compliance. Manufacturers typically have a requirement for reasonable roof care and upkeep that must be met before they’ll honor a warranty claim.
- Energy savings. If your commercial building has a membrane roof, having it cleaned can help lower the surface temperature. If you’ve had a reflective roof coating applied to limit heat transfer and reduce your cooling costs, keeping the membrane clean is essential to maximize its reflective qualities and maximize your savings.
To learn more about the benefits of our expert, professional cleaning services for your low or steep slope roof, or to schedule service for your Tampa-area property, contact us at Aderhold Roofing.