A storm is brewing on the horizon, and with its high probability of developing further, commercial and multifamily property managers need to be on their toes. As we brace ourselves for potential heavy rains and strong winds, it’s crucial to ensure our properties, especially our roofs, are well-prepared.
Quick Tips for Storm Preparation:
- Inspect Drains: Ensure all drains are clear of debris to prevent water accumulation.
- Check for Wear: Regularly inspect for any visible damage or wear.
- Secure Equipment: Confirm all roof equipment is securely fastened.
- Shingle Check: Look for loose or missing shingles.
- Gutter Maintenance: Ensure gutters and downspouts are clear of debris.
- Trim Trees: Trim back any overhanging tree branches near the roof.
General Property Prep:
- Outdoor Items: Secure or store outdoor furniture, signs, and other loose items.
- Seal Windows and Doors: Check for proper sealing to prevent water intrusion.
- Drainage Systems: Ensure sump pumps and drainage systems are functioning properly.
- Clear Stormwater Drains: Prevent flooding by keeping these clear.
- Emergency Plan: Review with property staff and communicate with tenants.
- Stock Up: Have essential supplies like sandbags, tarps, and flashlights on hand.
Addressing Wear on Your Flat Roof:
Discovering wear on your flat roof can be concerning, especially with a storm approaching. Here’s a step-by-step guide on what to do:
- Document the Damage: Capture clear photos for reference and potential insurance claims.
- Apply Temporary Measures: Use waterproof tape or sealant to prevent immediate water intrusion.
- Seek Professional Help: Contact a licensed roofing contractor for a thorough inspection and repair.
- Regular Maintenance: Minimize wear and tear with routine checks and maintenance.
- Consider Roof Coatings: These can extend your roof’s life and offer added protection.
- Replacement: If wear is extensive, plan for a potential roof replacement.
Being proactive and addressing issues early can save significant repair costs in the future. As the storm approaches, remember that preparation is key to minimizing potential damage. Stay safe, and if you need any assistance or a roof check-up, our team at Aderhold Roofing is here to help